View Profile Phantom

225 Movie Reviews

Close to awesome, but no cigar just yet

Definitely an interesting flash. You found a nice, original way of expressing an opinion that wasn't too biased in any direction. Visually speaking it was smooth and for the most part nice although it looked a little pixilated in the close-up scene the way I saw it. The subtitles were a nice touch as well. Speaking as the owner of a Motorola Droid myself, I liked that it was included in the flash, perhaps an update to the flash can also show iPad's family. Not in a consumerist way but just to even things out, sort of equal counterpart that you could possibly spin into follow ups, like adding the iPhone and iPod nano as the children and the Shuffle could be an infant representation. I just think that it would make for a nice touch to a neat film.

And if you don't mind, and you don't because this isn't a live conversation, I'll score your work the old fashion NG way.

Graphics: Decent flash versions of the devices, the hands and legs could use some work, but more in the lines of finishing touches than serious overhaul. I did find the eyes for example a little pixilated and iPad's eyebrow seems to clash with the glossy stripe it's made over, maybe that could be sorted out.

Style: Nicely done with added bodies to the devices, although as I mentioned, their actual look could be done better, and I would have been more impressed if iPad's dock connecter were to dangle all the way to the back of the device, even while he's hitting Xoom.

Sound: While I respect this is a one-man operation, there's a chance that having two voices actors and a slightly smoother microphone would have improved this film.

Violence: One proper smack to the Xoom and some frightening verbal threats afterwards. The fact you resorted to device based sodomy would give my therapist a lot of ideas.

Interactivity: Basic and ultimately complete. On such a short film it would be a wasted of time to bother with scene select and seek, You could enhance your viewers by getting a couple people to give you translated versions of the subtitles, it could attract viewers from other places as well and since you already have subs it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Humor: While subjective to one opinion it's still funny and doesn't really alienate fans of the Xoom for example. I'd enjoy an alternate scene in which the iPad is about to hit the Xoom but the Xoom turns on a flash from Newgrounds for example and memorizes the iPad to tears. Just a suggestion.

Originality: Not the first creation of this type of seen, but there aren't that many that touch the subject this way as it is, so originality is accomplished.
Effort: Garden variety. It's good, but as I suggested, if you choose to enlarge the project a little, there's so much more to be done with it.

Overall: Pretty cool, I like it and I'm pleased to have been one of the people to save this submission. You get 9 out of 10 stars for a job well done but one star removed for not going that extra mile.

DAGamesOfficial responds:

..... Wow that was a very in depth review! :3 I'm so proud of my cartoon :,) lol. As I said, it was only a small thing, did it in 4 hours on a college day. Tbh I could have done a lot more, but the script went alright by it's own standards. I'd just love to see how people react to this, I'm interested more in how they react, either offended, excited or in the middle, it's all really interesting :)

Anyway, thanks for the review, really helped a lot with the next flash :)

Innovative.

Well let me just say I really enjoyed this flash, it was very well done. The idea was very suggestive of envy rather than sacrifice for art, the artist saw the artwork named 'artist's shit' and decided he wants to top it, or at least that's how the scene is portrayed.

The animation was very good; it was realistic but had touches that didn't seem perfect. Although for a flash it was entirely acceptable, in fact if you're even interested in making a flash with a deeper story line, I write short stories that always seem to be a great foundation to flash movies or even real ones.

The music was nice, a bit bizarre but it did work out nicely for the flash. The sounds were pretty good, the gun shot sounded authentic enough to me.

Style was very unique; I will say this is original. I liked nothing more than seeing the artist place himself exactly in-front of the canvas and then fire away, the only question remaining who exactly makes the profit from hanging that piece there.

Violence is considerable but then again, all artists are in some way or another a bit wacky, the more, the better they are.

This is a short so I don't feel it REALLY requires some interactive touches like quality control or pause, but it would always be nice to add them on any sort of movie. Although the lack of such things didn't harm the movie, this time.

It has a light dash of humor, one can't help but giggle at the innovation that is, 'artist's shit'.

And overall, good work, no bad comments, but it also isn't what I'd call top 50 material. Continue on the good work.

P.S: Again, if you ever want a good idea for a flash, contact me.

Much better than the last.

Many things to say about this submission, but I’ll start with what did bother me about this episode. I have never seen this series before and it didn’t have any comments about the pervious episodes or directions to them, one would have to traverse the series all by himself to find out why they are in some desolate castle and are being attacked by some freakish stick vampires. There was no pause option either which made viewing a bit annoying if you actually wanted to stop. Scene select was nice but didn’t have an option to go back to it during the movie. Since there are obviously enough voice actors and voices alone, I think adding a short verbal description of the series and previous episodes is well needed. I understand creating a pause option would cause problems with the sounds, but it can be done if the option exists, then it should be done. Now that the criticism is over, I can move on to the better parts, which thankfully there are enough to redeem this movie of the few flaws it does have. Visually speaking it is very dark and gloomy and it uses the wide stick figures as characters, a simple working method of copying people. Lots of blood too and you can’t go wrong with blood. Style was very nice, much action or in this episode, actually a bit too gory for some people to have in one episode but you did well and it was an action packed and interesting episode. The voices were very well spoken but the Dr.’s accent was a bit off, but still acceptable. Music was nice and didn’t overshadow the voices or distract from any part of the movie. As far as interactivity I’m a bit disappointed because of the lack of seek, pause or quality control during the movie. However this time had much nicer stuff on the extras. The only thing was the scene select which can only be used in the main menu acceptable before or after viewing the movie. It needs more work in that area. Humor was absent in my opinion because it just isn’t meant to be a comedy by what any one can see, it is a gory and fun action flash. Overall it is indeed a terrific episode and great series. Needs a bit of work in interactivity.

Moving on to the plain and simple statistics:

Graphics: 8, A dark environment and a lot of visible work on how the environment looked, it did lag a bit and wasn’t the fastest flash though. Good way of doing it, in the last episode it felt too boring, this time it had the real spice of action..

Style: 9, An imaginative series but as far as this episode goes, it’s in decent length, interesting and manages to actually get to the point and create interest. Conversation is thin and uninteresting. The one part it was meant to sound angry and panicked...It didn’t. A witty/sarcastic remark would do.

Sound: 8, voices are relatively close to each other but can still be separated. Accents were a bit off. Music however fitted just fine, work a little more on voices and accents. Nice effects with the weapons and vampires.

Violence: 8, Incredible. All that blood, gun fire, melee. It was a bloody explosion that was for some reason denied of us last episode. This time I loved it, lots of gore and blood to go around. Though I would suggest at least a little action in each episode, or it would get boring, like the last one.

Interactivity: 6, Menu had artwork extras (awesome ones by the way) and scene select, scene select was a bit pointless but other things like a seek or pause button during the movie would be helpful. Extras however were a nice touch, but I would like to suggest you lead them to pictures inside the actual swf rather than link it to where it was posted online. It would make things easier won’t it?

Humor: 0, This flash was meant mostly as an action series, not a comedy one. So no one here is surprised. Even though I personally liked the killing of the guard so ferociously torn apart.

Overall: 7, Great movie, despite what it may come off in this review, I only with to help you improve on what you lack, and right now what you lack, at least in this episode is more developed controls. Very enjoyable series, keep the series going.

110 Game Reviews

Wonderful game

It didn't fill up with units as much and as quickly as the last one but do I have one single complaint, and that it is that you have to GRIND on the levels over and over again to improve your units and skills just to push a little bit ahead. And even though it's somewhat expected, I just cannot relate to it. Otherwise, awesome.

Uninspired and irritating.

The obstacles, character and general look of the game needs to improve, a lot. some things were increasingly annoying and while possible, really didn't make me finish the game or even the stage "Tee-Hee, there will be three pillars of poorly drawn fire with unreasonable borders and arrows flying through the fire so you can't see them coming."

That sort of thing just turned me off.

Hate it, deeply.

The graphics were average and not at all amazing, the execution, which lost you 8-9 stars on the review was HORRID. It finally came to me that this game has no actual physics engine but just random code and I can try the same thing over and over again until it works, because there is no other way.

So in conclusion, it's frustrating as hell to find a working design that doesn't actually work until you try it over and over again like a bloody fool. Not that it matters, big websites will keep making their games and never read a single review. ewhuiehwfuih. See?

Now the constructive part: Improve graphics, this is way too poor for the kind of GRAPHIC experience you're trying to deliver, and fire whoever programmed this game, and get someone new.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done". - Aesop.

phantom Ghost @Phantom